Wednesday, March 12, 2008

blackandblue!

Ever been manhandled, beaten up? No, I am not talking about spanking from parents, brawl with a friend or foe, or a fight in a football match. I mean, on the street on broad daylight for no fault or reason whatsoever?

Today is 12th Match 2008.
I had to go Whitefield for a meeting starting at 8:00 am. Around 7:45/7:50 I was near Kundanhalli (near Marathalli, Bangalore) where I would take a left turn ahead to go towards Transworks/iFlex office and I kept to the left side of the road waiting for the signal. A car (old maruthi 800) coming out of a garage off the road and trying to squeeze in to the main flow, hit a motorbike stationary on my left side which caused the bike to get jammed against my car’s left . When I got out of the car, I checked a few bad scratches and small dents. The bike rider and the driver of the car were already arguing. Nothing happened to the bike because of its front protruding bar. The old car seemed badly beaten already to notice any difference. The driver of the car, a kid in his teens must be, with a slight beard spoke in Kannada and said the brake of the car is not working properly. I assumed the kid must be a helper in garage, and knew that would no way have any money for damage.

When the bike rider moved on, I asked the kid (first in my broken Kannada, and then turning to Hindi) how why he would even try to squeeze in traffic with bad brakes. The kid replied arrogantly in pretty decent Hindi, and part English that the damage would cost me nothing and tried to move away. I asked him to stop. The kid retorted in Kannada showering me handsome praising; and I said I will take note of the car number and give to the cop standing at the signal some 20 meters away or so. The kid threatened to throw a punch at me and I was taken aback, surprised at impudence of the kid; I caught his arm and asked him to come to the police when he was turning away and giving me gaalis all the while.

The moment I caught his arm, he punched at my face, caught my collar, dragged me below and in the process tore my shirt. I was too shocked to react, when I angrily got up, few others from behind suddenly joined in kicking, punching, stamping. I remember that I was trying to get up repeatedly and these guys kept on pushing me down and hitting me. I don’t know how long it was for, a min or more. I don’t even remember the other 2 faces, and I tried to block and retaliate in some blind daze and somehow managed to shout for police. The beating stopped and I stood up and tried to make some sense, and furiously trying to find a cop; one of the guys, a big fat one, returned and kicked me again from the back. My nose was bleeding, my shirt torn, my face, jaws, head, shoulders and back, legs and knees hurting badly, full of dust all over, cut inside my mouth now tasting of blood, it was bizarre; I was in a daze; Good-office-going people around, would not want to interfere of course; other than look with pity probably.

I got inside the car and drove to the cop, and told him the incident. I told him the car number; He asked to go and report to the police. Hmmm .. like Upamanyu Chatterjee, the only reason, I attempted civil services (I flunked), was on the thought that only becoming an IAS officer will shield the civilian from police harassments. I thought I would reach my destination and will probably have time to think and decide. Later on, I gave up on the futility of registering any case; also the fat guy seemed pro, in my bid to protect and lift myself from the ground, I remember this guy particularly trying to aim and hit my face and head, back and knees. This is not wrestle, a brawl .. this is done calmly and intension to maximize injury. Sooo.. whats the story, morning glory? Y! I took the beating and moved on!


I remember, probably early 2000/2001; once returning home late, I found the auto driver cheating;and when I enquired and arguments started, other auto drivers came forth and caught hold of the driver, mediated and made him apologize. Prosperity brings money that brings crime that brings down morality and mortality and somehow in the process, savages keep growing in number, getting bolder and ruthless and above the law.
“No one is free, even the birds are chained to the sky.” – Bob Dylan

9 comments:

Chow said...

Incidents of road rage are so common in Delhi that the golden rule (esp for 'senior citizens')is:Do not under any circumstances get involved in a slanging match & definitely not in any form of physical coercion (like holding an arm, etc). Do take the help of the law - in the unlikely event of a cop being around.

Anonymous said...

Gee! I am horrified to hear your story! But at the same time this almost confirms to me the fears that I (and most decent middle class people in this country?) have that violence is slowly becoming a tool for anyone who wants to assert his right for power and domination.
Our society is churning over and as the people in the bottom role over on to the top they will react in the only way they have know till they, over time, realize otherwise. By then a new group will be on top!
And till we have a large confident group in power who will be threatened by change of the status quo, we will not have a strong law & order force to keep violence by individuals in check.
Till then we are in for a rough ride and the mantra is - stay away from all forms of provocation and do not interfere in other peoples troubles! Decent folks have no choice.

Angshuman Sarkar said...

@chow: thought I am still an "uncil" :) .. No, I didnt get into any slanging match, holding the arm was a mistake probably, the kid appeared a decently educated kid from his initial responses.

And I thought this was Bangalore, not Delhi. Not anymore it seems!
Anyway ..

@balaji: true.

I realize now that I should probably have gone to the police station anyway, whether they wanted to register FIR or not. been to the cops twice before .. for registering case related to stolen mobile of mine and another related to a mugging of a colleague, and they didn't register any FIR) .. but in any case I would have had the satisfaction of trying atleast (as if that helped ever!).

But these are all afterthoughts .. right!

Moneesh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Moneesh said...

Reading your story I remember an incidence where a similar act of violence happened to a couple on bike in the middle of Dairy Circle flyover in the morning 10:30 am in thick traffic.
The argument had started between this couple on bike (going to office) and a man 45ish in the car. The argument started at the Forum side end of the flyover, when the couple on bike wanted to move from left side of the car its right side in effect over taking it in still traffic. But the impatient man in the car could not wait and moved the car blocking the bike midway. After this there were a few words exchanged. After a minute or so when the traffic started moving the man in the car came to the side of the bike and tried to scare the couple on bike by suddenly moving the car towards them (literally touching the bike handle). Following which couple moved the bike in front of the car stopping it and started to argue again. By this time the traffic had almost stopped again, probably due to a signal. Then all of a sudden a complete stranger from got down from another bike and without saying anything started to slap the guy on bike. Everyone was puzzled; the stranger slapped the guy 2-3 times, for no reason.
From what I could understand the stranger he was fighting in support of the man in car who was a local man and the couple was North Indian.

Angshuman Sarkar said...

@Moneesh: I totally agree that lawlessness, dadagiri are probably getting equally bad around here. What is happenning is disgraceful for Bangalore. I am so sorry to hear about the couple. But I don't really attribute this to North/south/east/west, racial or community divide. I am in karnataka for close to 16/17 years now and no one single mad stray incident is gonna freak my mind towards such divisions! I have too much respect for South Indian culture to do that.

Where there is money, there is crime .. underworld and dadas, netas and chellas, rowdies and mamas!

What I am surprised is that: on such situations, none wants to interfere! this shows our societies are only getting hollower! All such goons get daring, because they know that nobody really gives a damn and none will stand up!

BarnaliDB said...

Sorry to hear about your incident. but it comes as a shocker that this sort of things happened in your part of the city..... but I still think it would have been good had u approached the police irrespective of many nincompoops u wud have come across in the course.

Unknown said...

why did you stop the process of lodging an FIR and afterdeeds. afterall, you have noted the car-number. i'd be waiting till the last scene. unless n untill we're adamant and strictenough against these unscrupulous stupids ; they'd be using the society like an empty field. i've saluted your spirit in may cases earlier. try to drag those bugs down.

Angshuman Sarkar said...

@barnali & Niloy: I know. Thats why I said, I would have had the satisfaction of going to the police station atleast.

an FIR must be registered in the same police limits, within 24 hours. After speaking to few people and by the time, my conscience resurrected to take a stance, 24 hours had passed. Now, I have to go and take a lawyer to the police station to register FIR, I think, thats the rule I think.