Thursday, July 10, 2008

my new organization

I have joined ThoughtWorks as yet another developer. Now, many of you might be wondering ...
1) I have never worked for professional services as such. Even while working for Agni and later Adea, I was into Product development. So this is a new experience for me.
2) I got little sick of doing R&D(s) year after year. Wanted to experience different things. Lets see how it goes. :)

Now why TW?
Well, I have never worked for big corporates. Although there are many things, which I fundamentally disagree with TW, I believe it still gives me an option to voice my opinions and at least listening to it. This was a fundamental reason .. freedom (of speech as well).
I hope it gives me scope for consulting and for more customer facing roles, as I would like to experience that, and think I have a flair for customer handling. All my old clients will vouch for my best intensions to bring in value onto work they are paying for, and thought I would make a good client advocat. :))
TW has a product division but of course they would want to make money through me by keeping me in Professional services. But I hope I have the scope of working with their product division in whatever capacity because I can bring value there, surely. If not, TW's loss! However TW's products are into dev community space, so its unlike any commercial product I have been involved with. I look forward to learn about building/selling products in that space as well.
I have more or less decided that the next product I want to take responsibility of building (concept to roll out), would have to be something I believe in totally and preferably mine! I had quite a few product development and management options in some of the big giants but I didnt believe in any of the ideas! Although I am sure I would have learnt a whole lot about product management and sales in completely different scale but ....

So amigos, here I am, in ThoughtWorks! And I hope, I am not branded as geek/techie/whatever .. because I am not! More laters ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angshuman welcome to thoughtworks... would like to catch up with you some time when I am in the bangalore office..

Angshuman Sarkar said...

thank you Kedar. Surely ..

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Thougtworks!

Like you said, freedom is a great reason to appreciate any place that we belong to, and based on my experience, that is a true benefit of being at Thoughtworks. From an insider perspective, I often wonder whether all of us appreciate the responsibilites (to customers, to the business, and to your coworkers) that comes along with the freedom, but things are never perfect anywhere i suppose.

On a related note, in a services organization, it is key to have some commitment to the idea of making customers successful - even when you may not agree with their vision of whatever they are building. There is some joy (if we are open) in enabling someone else's dream, and that itself could be really fulfilling.

Anyway, welcome again, and hope you have lots of fun!

Angshuman Sarkar said...

@anonymous, I agree totally Sir.
So said Uncle Ben to spidey on related context! :)

I think I have always worked in the best interests of my customers, business and colleagues. if at all, people have often said that in the process I have forgotten responsibilities towards myself. :)

I have worked on client outsourced products on many a occasions, and each of them I have taken them as if my own, and worked heart and soul towards fulfilment of my customers' vision. Ownership is not limited to proprietorship!